Sunday, March 01, 2009

Review: Asian Moon


Asian Moon is one of those places on Franklin Ave (where I'm hanging out these days) that probably gets 90% of its business from the lunchtime crowds who work nearby. Those Morgan Stanley folks have to eat somewhere I guess. (BTW, their parking lot was packed, PACKED on President's Day! Go home already!)

And because I work nearby, we get lunch from there probably once a week. They have an extensive menu, but we normally order from the "Lunch Specials" section. The entree comes with soup or salad and rice unless you get a noodle dish.

Just about everything I've had there is pretty good: lo mein; sesame chicken; General Tsao's chicken; chow fun; pad thai; and some other things I don't remember. Other people really like the salmon dish and the chicken with mango. Their wanton soup doesn't have that dark, morning pee pee look you see from other places. And the wantons are soft and delicate, not those thick, heavy, lumps of dough. The salad with ginger dressing is good but not great. The hot secretary at our office loves their hot and sour soup and says it's the best she's had. I tried it once but thought it was the most heinous, godawful thing I'd ever tasted.

The only bad experience I've had (besides the hot and sour soup) was the Chow Fun. It tasted fine but didn't sit too well with me afterwards, and I had to make a few trips to the john that afternoon. This could have been totally unrelated, of course.

I made a joke about it to the hot secretary. It went something like this:

Me: So I had the Chow Fun. Turns out it was no fun at all. (Pause for laughter)

Hot Secretary: Get the f*ck away from me.

So the restaurant is a step up from the typical dirty, shitty Chinese places you see all over Long Island. The lunch specials are generally around $7 to $8. Other things on the menu are a little more.

3 out of 5 stars

Asian Moon
825 Franklin Ave.
Garden City, NY 11530

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home