Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Review: Sempre Vivolo



Sempre Vivolo is one of those places that has been around for forever, and everyone has been there, so we have to review it. Everyone we've talked to says it's great...It isn't.

First, the customers. I don’t want to say they’re old. But they’re fuckin’ old. This place is geezer central.

The interior is not appealing. There’s a lot of dark wood and mirrors. Maybe this was in style in the 50’s when most of the customers were middle aged. The two dining rooms are tiny. Plus you have the wait staff hovering around you in these tiny areas, watching every move you make. Not fun.

Appetizers. The “hot appetizer” had baked claims (OK); shrimp with a sprinkling of bread crumbs (WTF?); eggplant rolled and stuffed with ricotta, I think (eh); and a red pepper stuffed with olives and eggplant (boring). The spinach salad was something you could put together at any supermarket salad bar. Not kidding. (The wife had a full serving of the eggplant.)

Entrees. Mine was breaded veal scaloppini in a cream and cognac sauce. Disappointing. I didn’t taste cognac or cream. I tasted butter and lemon. The wife had a veal chop stuffed with prosciutto and fontina. This was the best part of the meal. The presentation is impressive (on the bone, hanging off the plate); the flavors were strong; and it had a yummy, rich brown sauce. (I’m a sucker for good sauces.)

Desserts. Italian cheesecake (chocolate) was ordinary. The crepe with ice cream, whipped cream, walnuts, and fruit was good, but nothing you couldn’t do at home. And is that even Italian?

The menu is fairly big, so it's hard to believe they make everything fresh or to order. But it's on the cheaper side for the upper crust restaurants on Long Island. The stuffed veal chop at $29.95 was about the most expensive entree. The entrees (including pastas) probably averaged around $20, if not less.

After tax and tip: $140. That includes two appetizers, a salad, two entrees, two desserts, a glass of red wine, and a cappucino.

3 out of 5 stars

It was worth trying once, but I wouldn't go back.

Sempre Vivolo
696 Motor Pkwy
Hauppauge, NY 11788
(631) 435-1737

3 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Sempre Vivolo is one of those places that has been around for forever, and everyone has been there, so we have to review it. Everyone we've talked to says it's great"

BL, that should have clued you in right away. The good denizens of Suffolk county, LI for the most part, wouldn't know good cuisine if it snatched them up and placed them in a pot of boiling water.

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want good Italian, I have a few suggestions on my restaurant review on www.lisoundoff.blogspot.com. I review Matteo's in Roslyn, but mention a couple of others as well. Any feedback you can offer me (I am new to the blogging community) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

 
At 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was my go to spot for a while but they are so rude. I was meeting a friend there... apparently they harassed her when she arrived and was asked 3 different times if she had a reservation to which she repeatedly said no and asked if it was ok to sit at the bar. I was coming with my infant who was in a car seat, since they aren't handicap accessible I couldn't roll the stroller up. The second I walked in the door I was harassed about a reservation (I say harassed because I was not being asked in a nice way at all) I said my friend is right there at the bar... His reaction was totally unacceptable with a raised voice "oh no no no, you can't go in there with a baby" first of all, why not? But I didn't argue, I said "ok relax, we don't need to sit by the bar". His response again with a raised voice "oh no I'm totally booked up in the dining room". Didn't tell us about a wait time or anything, he just wanted me out of there. I walked over to my friend while he was hovering over me and said "he won't let me in here with my kid" to which she stood there floored, she just had a sip of wine. All the people are the bar looked horrified like why are they discriminating against people with kids (my kid was very well behaved not making a peep...not that anyone would have heard in the crowded and loud place anyway)...the guy was hovering over me the entire time while I waited for my friend to get up and leave as if I was a criminal. So embarrassing and rude...I will literally never come here again and I will tell everyone in the area about this incident.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home