Saturday, May 30, 2009

Flowering Chives

An herb garden is a nice thing to have. Fresh herbs at a supermarket are usually OK. And it's easier to get parsley and cilantro there than to grow them or cut them. But rosemary and sage, for instance, are much better grown yourself and cut fresh.

Each year the first herb that's ready always seems to be chives. They've been ready for a while now, in my garden, and they've already gone to flower. Which is bad. Here is a pic of my chives:


(No, I don't know why the bottom part is out of focus. I'm trying to figure it out.)

The point of all this is that my flowering chives remind me of something Alan Harding said on his short-lived Cookin' in Brooklyn, if anyone remembers that thing. I forget what the recipe was, but one of the ingredients was "flowering chives."

Well, as anyone who grows chives knows, once the chives go to flower, the leaves (what you eat) become woody and flavorless. It's like eating straw. So I don't get the point of having that as an ingredient unless you don't know what you're talking about and are trying to make your recipe sound more exotic. Like having orange blossom water or some shit. Give me a f*cking break.

This isn't the only dumb thing Harding said. See here. Not that I didn't like the guy. His recipes didn't really do much for me, and he seemed like a weird dude, but nice enough.

5 Comments:

At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Columbus Foodie said...

I always put the chive blossoms in a mason jar with white vinegar, and then let it sit for a month and strain it. So, so pretty and nice onion flavor to the vinegar.

But yeah, you're right - once the chives go to flower, forget about eating the actual chive.

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Butter Lover said...

That's a cool idea.

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous NIall Harbison said...

Growing my own stuff is something that I am only starting to get into recently and I just started my own chili pot but people have said it is hard to grow! I have seen a lot of people with rosemary and I am guessing that because it is king f hard and woody that r is probably pretty durable and grows well!

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Butter Lover said...

You live on Long Island? Here, rosemary bushes tend to die over the winter. I had one that lasted a couple winters and had gotten pretty big, but it bought the farm this last winter.

I got lots of rosemary bread loaves out of the ol' girl. She'll be missed. Sigh.

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Butter Lover love your blog! I am in Suffolk County on LI as well and frequent many of the restaurants you named/rated. (PS I think you are hysterical but also insightful so I do take your blog seriously!) Two questions:
(1) I purchased 2 fig trees, one Italian Everbearing and one Mission. I saw that you do grow some of your own produce and I wanted to know if you ever raised or maintained any fig trees. Mine are arriving within days. Any input would be appreciated.
(2) If you want something different to rate or write about (or, yes, even poke fun at), I, my sister, ad my cousin are hosting a Great American Bake Sale on July 12 in Setauket, if you feel like dropping in.
cousinsbakesale@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home