Monday, December 31, 2007

Zagat Ratings

The wife and I had dinner at Maroni Cuisine Saturday night. In anticipation of that I checked out the latest Zagat ratings for Long Island restaurants. Maroni is rated as the #2 place behind Kotobuki, and both get a 28 food rating.

My review will come soon, but there is no way Maroni should be rated that high. Kotobuki either. And we love Kotobuki. We've eaten in there once but get take out all the time. We just got take out from there last night, in fact (the Kotobuki Combo and the Sushi and Sashimi Combo). But it's just sushi, for God's sake.

Anyway, this illustrates a reason why I started this blog. The losers who vote for the Zagat ratings have no idea what they're talking about. The best restaurant, by far, by FAR, on Long Island is Louis XVI, and it gets a 25 food rating in Zagat's. WTF? I would put Maroni around a 22. No more.

4 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree on Maroni (even thought I have not seen the review yet!)
We paid $100 a person, for less I could have eaten at Gramercy Tavern or Jean George. I felt rushed as the multitude of courses came out. Some items were interesting others seemed to be gimmicks in serving. "ohh food served in a shovel" Most of the food was quite ordinary.The "free" wine isn't really free and we were quite lucky for the two of us to sit at a table for four, otherwise would would have been really squished.

All in all, it's really quite an ordinary place that just throws a lot of small courses at you and hopes you don't notice it just isn't that great.

I will say the servers were quite nice and friendly.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Butter Lover said...

Pretty much mirrored our experience, too.

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree about your comment in regard to sushi. Is Nobu's sushi better than Kotubuki's because it's more expensive? As long as the fish is fresh, how can it get any better? OK... presenation, maybe more intersting rolls..but if you are talking your basic sushi and sashimi fresh is fresh. Now about those1/2 off sushi places....I never dine in them. Who wants to consume fish and meat at discount...yuck!

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Butter Lover said...

Yeah, "half off" sushi is a red flag. Kind of like bright colors on snakes. It says "Stay Away!" That and sushi at Chinese buffets. Although, I have survived sushi at Chinese buffets before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home