Saturday, November 20, 2010

Review: Il Mulino


Il Mulino is on Northern Boulevard in Roslyn, just down the road from an Aston Martin dealership, where I do my car shopping. [Pause for laughter.] For those of you who don't know Italian, "Il Mulino" means "the Mulino." OK, I don't know what the f*ck it means.

The menu is big. As in "Why is the menu so big?" I get suspicious when menu's have too many selections. Unless there's an army of cooks in the kitchen, how can everything be fresh or made to order? Even the "specials" menu was extensive.

I wasn't able to try anyone else's stuff, but this was my meal:  Escargot in mushroom caps with a garlicky tomato sauce. Porcini mushroom ravioli in a cream sauce. Very northern Italy. The mushroom filling was dense and meat-like, so I imagine the porcini were dried and reconstituted. And for desert a pear poached in white wine and served with (I think) a rich pastry cream and fresh berries. Very French. The pear was cut up and served table-side.

Everything was lovely. No complaints. And the portions were not small. I couldn't even finish dessert.

Another diner loved the artichoke heart appetizer with pancetta (I assume). He also got the ossobucco. That damn thing must have been 2 lbs. Even came with a marrow fork. Impressive.

I didn't pay, so I have no idea what the final cost was. My ravioli was $38, and the ossobucco was $49. The appetizers seemed to average around $15. So not cheap.

I did take pics. I normally don't, inside restaurants. Especially high-end places like this because I feel like a tool. I think my camera settings were off, so the pics kinda suck.

Escargot appetizer


Porcini ravioli


Ossobucco


Poached pear dessert



4 out of 5 stars

Il Mulino
1042 Northern Boulevard
Roslyn, NY

1 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree, I've eaten at Il Mulino a few times now and it's pretty good. I keep hoping that Grublife.com will post a deal for Il Mulino, b/c it is a little expensive. Grublifemetro.com too! Anyway, thanks for the Great blog ... keep up the good work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home