Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Review: Charlie Brown's


Yes, this is yet another chain-restaurant review. But what can I tell you? It was the wife’s choice. We recently checked out the one in Holtsville, next to the Island 16 movie theater, just off the L.I.E.

This place is not good. It is dreadful, in fact.

We ordered the appetizer sampler (chicken fingers, chicken toquitos or rolled-up quesadillas [or something], mozzarella sticks, and wings). Everything was obviously frozen and just heated up for service. The wings were decent, but everything else was godawful.

I was in the mood for a ribeye. This is a steakhouse, yet they don’t have a ribeye on the menu. What they do have is lots and lots of prime rib, which I don’t generally care for. Yes, it’s the same cut as a ribeye steak, but I like it cooked as a steak. Big difference.

The menu says something called the “Cowboy Steak” prime rib is seared. I thought that was my best chance to have something steak-like—sear a piece of rare or medium-rare prime rib, and I’ve got a steak. I was wrong. The seasoning did not work at all, and I guess their idea of searing is having some burnt patches on the meat.

The wife had a sirloin. She ordered it medium rare, and it came well done (mine was overcooked as well, BTW). And it had no flavor to speak of.

The meal came with a trip to the salad bar. It was nothing different than you’d see at a lot of supermarkets or other places with salad bars. The stuff was fresh, at least.

We didn’t stick around for dessert. This is perhaps the worst chain restaurant we’ve been to. We will not be going back.

1 out of 5 stars

3 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to know. I have only been to the one near Giants stadium, and it was terrible as well.

Yuck

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting ...Thank you for the review. I had heard some good things about the place -- but have only been to the one in the Commack, Long Island area -- once, myself. It was pretty good -- but not great.

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlie Browns Steakhouse
First, if you are really hungry and don't mind a 1 1/2 hour wait.
3 Times I went because of coupons.
All 3 times a 1 1/2 hr wait which took you to the bar and bought a drink for you and your guest.
Salad Bar is the best I have seen.
Bread, fruit, various topppings
excelllent salad bar. Dinner entrees and appetizers are not worth the wait at all. Dinner not worth going back even if the coupon was for a free meal.
A Steakhouse without a Ribeye is like a movie theatre without popcorn!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home