Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A blog in name only

The wind has gone out of my sails for my enthusiasm for this thing. I'm too busy to keep this as a true "blog" with regular postings. Besides, when you see what food blogs get the most readers, you just have to scratch your head.

Food writing, in general, is terrible. It is overwrought, self-indulgent, and rife with laughably bad metaphors. It strikes me as something a pretentious high school sophomore thinks is good writing.

And that's the good stuff. That's the professional stuff. Food writing in the blogosphere is much, much worse. Much. It's just depressing, and I'm tired of it and a little embarrassed to have my own food blog, because of it.

In his now infamous article about food blogs Pete Wells scolded: "Listen up, bloggers: Nobody cares what you had for lunch today!" It's true. Of course, I've been guilty of the same crap myself, in the past.

So, for all of these reasons, and more, I'm not going to keep this as an actual, up to date blog. I'll keep it around for the restaurant reviews, as a resource for web surfers scoping out Long Island restaurants. And I'll make the occasional post, but that is about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home