Monday, April 05, 2010

Review: Maxxel's



Maxxel's is a little place in a strip mall in Mineola, next to an always-busy Panera Bread. And when I say busy, I means ba-hizzy.

Not really sure what the place is supposed to be. It calls itself an "American Bistro." It has mussels, meatballs, pasta, and american and french food. The place seems to push its wines, so it must pride itself on the wine selection, which I don't really care about.

I've been here for lunch a few times, not for dinner. The dinner menu is moderate/reasonable, but lunch is overpriced. The place is tiny inside. Maybe 10 to 12 tables.

The hamburger (Maxxels Sirloin Burger) is very good. The fries are shit (though Hot Secretary likes them). I should note that the shitty fries are the matchstick ones. On a recent visit they were serving fatter fries. I don't know how the fatties taste.

I've had their American Bento lunch for $14.95 (ouch). I picked meatballs and wild mushroom soup and had them pick the veggie and salad. The meatballs were not great and had an herb or spice that was strong that I couldn't place--possibly cumin, which I detest; the tomato sauce was sweet, which I don't mind. Balsamic vinaigrette on a mesclun mix was pretty good. Sauteed green beans and carrots were boring and stupid. Wild mushroom soup was not bad.

Hot Secretary really likes the grilled chicken with provolone and spinach sandwich. She hated the beef fajita wrap and thought the meat was awful.


American Bento Lunch



Hamburger

Verdict: good hamburger, otherwise average food, interesting menu, overpriced.

3 out of 5 stars
Maxxels
526 Jericho Turnpike
Mineola, NY 10005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home